Don't forget:

Check out my other blogs

Saturday 4 December 2010

Part One

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I hate the sound of alarm clocks. Why do they have to be so annoying? 

"Shut up!" All my energy went into saying it, which wasn't a lot, I am not a morning person. 

Almost as soon as I'd said it the sound stopped. I opened my eyes and glanced at the machine. 3.36.

Great! I thought, my alarm's broken. 

I didn't give it a second thought and the rest of my day was the same as always, or at least, the same as it had been since the accident, all smiles and pats on the shoulder, until I was on my way home. 

I was walking home from the train station, the normal route . . . OK the new normal route 

It was getting dark and the street-lights were flickering on. They were just warming up, not quite full beam yet. 
As I drew close to the first it started to glow brighter, it's warming up, I thought, so I didn't take a second glance, until I got to the next one. As I approached this one it too began to glow brighter until I was right under it, beginning to walk away from it, and it started to fade the further away I got. 

I stopped. 

"That was weird." I turned on my heel and stared up at the light, back now to its soft glow.

I shook my head. "That accident messed with my head." I muttered.

The same thing happened again as I walked under the next street light.  

"OK, I know I'm not crazy." I walked backwards, back towards the street-light. It grew brighter, I walked away and it faded again. 

I looked over my shoulders before breaking into a full on sprint, every street-light flickering as I passed without fail. 

I burst through the front door, sped up the stairs and slammed my bedroom door and pressed my back against it.

That's when I noticed that the light was on.

I glanced over at the switch. I had an idea. I flicked the switch to off. Nothing happened. I flicked it on and then off again. The light stayed on.

"What's happened to me?" (OK, I know it sounds cliche but I was terrified.) "WHY WON'T YOU JUST GO OFF!" I screamed.

I was plunged into darkness, except for the street-light outside my window, which began to flicker and fade.





No comments:

Post a Comment